Acura Pharmaceuticals Receives Second U.S. Patent for Novel Limitx(TM) Abuse Deterrent Technology
New Oral Opioid Abuse Technology
PALATINE, IL -- (Marketwired) -- 04/26/16 --
Acura Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: ACUR), a specialty pharmaceutical company innovating abuse deterrent drugs, today announced that the Company has been issued U.S. Patent No. 9,320,796 by the United States Patent and Trademark Office pertaining to the Company's Limitx™ Technology platform.
LIMITX Technology is designed to address opioid abuse via the oral route of administration. LIMITX contains ingredients that are intended to reduce or limit the rate or extent of opioid release when multiple tablets are ingested.
About Acura Pharmaceuticals
Acura Pharmaceuticals is a specialty pharmaceutical company engaged in the research, development and commercialization of product candidates intended to address medication abuse and misuse, utilizing its proprietary LIMITX™, AVERSION® and IMPEDE® Technologies. LIMITX contains ingredients that are intended to reduce or limit the rate or extent of opioid release when multiple tablets are ingested. AVERSION contains polymers that cause the drug to gel when dissolved; it also contains compounds that irritate the nasal passages if the product is snorted. IMPEDE is designed to disrupt the processing of pseudoephedrine from tablets into methamphetamine.
OXAYDO® (oxycodone HCl immediate-release tablets) which incorporates the AVERSION Technology, is FDA approved and marketed in the U.S. by our partner Egalet Corporation.
Acura markets NEXAFED® and NEXAFED® Sinus, which are pseudoephedrine containing products that utilize the IMPEDE Technology.
Certain statements in this press release constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause our actual results, performance or achievements to be materially different from any future results, performance, or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements may include, but are not limited to:
- whether LIMITX will retard the release of opioid active ingredients as dose levels increase;
- our ability to fund or obtain funding for our continuing operations, including the development of our products utilizing our Limitx™ and Impede® technologies;
- our and our licensee's ability to successfully launch and commercialize our products and technologies, including Oxaydo® Tablets and our Nexafed® products;
- our and our licensee's ability to obtain necessary regulatory approvals and commercialize products utilizing our technologies;
- the market acceptance of, timing of commercial launch and competitive environment for any of our products;
- expectations regarding potential market share for our products;
- our ability to develop and enter into additional license agreements for our product candidates using our technologies;
- the ability to avoid infringement of patents, trademarks and other proprietary rights of third parties;
- the ability of our patents to protect our products from generic competition and our ability to protect and enforce our patent rights in any paragraph IV patent infringement litigation;
- the ability to fulfill the FDA requirements for approving our product candidates for commercial manufacturing and distribution in the United States, including, without limitation, the adequacy of the results of the laboratory and clinical studies completed to date, the results of laboratory and clinical studies we may complete in the future to support FDA approval of our product candidates and the sufficiency of our development process to meet over-the-counter ("OTC") Monograph standards, as applicable;
- the adequacy of the development program for our product candidates, including whether additional clinical studies will be required to support FDA approval of our product candidates;
- changes in regulatory requirements;
- adverse safety findings relating to our commercialized products or product candidates in development;
- whether the FDA will agree with our analysis of our clinical and laboratory studies;
- whether further studies of our product candidates will be required to support FDA approval;
- whether or when we are able to obtain FDA approval of labeling for our product candidates for the proposed indications and will be able to promote the features of our abuse discouraging technologies; and
- whether Oxaydo or our Aversion and Limitx product candidates will ultimately deter abuse in commercial settings and whether our Nexafed products and Impede technology product candidates will disrupt the processing of pseudoephedrine into methamphetamine.
In some cases, you can identify forward- looking statements by terms such as "may," "will", "should," "could," "would," "expects," "plans," "anticipates," "believes," "estimates," "indicates", "projects," predicts," "potential" and similar expressions intended to identify forward-looking statements. These statements reflect our current views with respect to future events and are based on assumptions and subject to risks and uncertainties. Given these uncertainties, you should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements. We discuss many of these risks in greater detail in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
for Acura Investor Relations
Renmark Financial Communications Inc.
(416) 644-2020 or (514) 939-3989
Source: Acura Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
News Provided by Acquire Media
Close window | Back to top